Saturday, January 21, 2012

Hand Hydration: Winter Edition

It seems as though winter has finally decided to hit Canada full blast; and man, my hands are hating it.

I've never really had a huge problem with dry skin, especially my hands, until I start my job as a pharmacy assistant. Working in the health care field means washing and sanitizing your hands every second possible, and trust me, your hands will forever hate you. Last year was my first year working in the pharmacy, my hands were dry, cracked and at times bleeding. It was so painful and looked absolutely horrifying. Let me share a tip with you at how I'm keeping my hands a little but more moist now that winter is here!



I purchased Uremol 20 and a pair of cotton gloves. Seems simple right? That's because it is! Uremol 20 contains 20% urea, a moisturizer naturally present in the skin but reduced in dry skin conditions. All you need to do is plaster your hands in the Uremol (or other cream containing urea) and place the cotton gloves on your hands. I do this right before bed and sleep with them on. I do this 4 or 5 times a week. If I don't keep up with it, my hands get just as bad as they were before. You will definitely notice a difference as soon as you wake up and remove the gloves the first morning!



In addition to this, I moisturize with foot creams during the day. Why foot creams? Well, typically they are more moisturizing than hand creams. I also avoid alcohol based hand-sanitizers. These will dry your skin out so much quicker than actually washing your hands with anti-bactieral soap and water!

Hope these tips help!

No comments:

Post a Comment