Friday, April 6, 2012

The Ultimate Dry Shampoo Show Down! ♥


It's 8:30 on Monday morning, you've slept through your alarm AGAIN and you definitely don't have time to shower this morning. We've all been there, done that and had some seriously greasy hair disasters I'm very sure of it. I'm extrememly guilty for this one. Monday is my nemisis. I despise it. It's usually Monday when I've just not quite caught up on enough of my sleep & I think I'm dreaming of that alarm going off... It happens many times through the month. I'm not perfect, I won't even pretend to be. But then there's that terrible twinge of panic in your stomach, "no time to shower." I've thrown my hair back into enough messy buns/pony tails with mass quantities of hair spray to try and mask the dirty oily hair I've left myself with. That is until now!

I've absolutely fallen in love with dry shampoo! It has become a bathroom staple because of its life saving capabilities. Don't get me wrong though, it's like picking a foundation or a car, you've got to test it out before you find the right one for you! Today I'm give you MY thoughts on a few of the most popular, well known dry shampoos out there. I purchased each one with my own money & tested them all out! So, in no particular order, let's get started.


1 -- GOSH Professional Fresh Up! Dry Shampoo

Qty: 150mL or 5.3 fl. oz.
Cost: $9.99 CDN

I found this one while wandering SDM aimlessly one night & decided to test it out. It was packaged very similar to some of the other dry shampoos I had already tested out, so I knew exactly how I was to use it. It has a very unique smell and I'm still kind of unsure of it to be honest. It's almost like baby powder, coconut and some other component I can't place. It's strange to me, not necessarily bad, but not my favourite. When I first applied it I noticed it wasn't as "white & powdery" as the other ones I had used, but you could still see there was something in your hair. I massaged it in and brushed it out and continued on. One of the first things I found when I touched my hair was that it seems to leave a bit of a sticky residue on the hair, which is definitely a turn off. It did seem to absorb all of the excess oils though, which is the point of it. In terms of price comparison, it's fairly average compared to the others out there; many others retail for about 7-12 dollars. Overall, it's not a dry shampoo I would repurchase unless I couldn't get my hands on one of my other favourites.


2 -- LUSH No Drought Dry Shampoo

Qty: 115g or 4.1 oz.
Cost: $12.95 CDN

LUSH is one of my favourite spots to spend my money, and generally when I go in there, I spend way more than I should. When they brought out their dry shampoo I was pretty excited since I love so many of their other products! First thing I noticed was that it is VERY different from any of the other dry shampoos I've tried before. "No Drought" comes in a clear plastic bottle with a black pop top lid, much the same as LUSH's shampoos and shower gels. There is no aerosol can involved here, which doesn't surprise me in the least bit since LUSH is so "environmentally friendly." My first challenge was figuring out exactly HOW to use this one. After some trial and error, I figured out how I would use it. Let's start off by saying, this dry shampoo is the messiest to use. I sprinkled the powder all over the top of my head, close to the roots, let it sit for a few minutes and then massaged it into my scalp like I was actually washing my hair. After this, I would brush it out and get on with my day. This dry shampoo smells very tropical and fresh, which I really like. It easily absorbs into my dark hair without leaving any white residue and is very effective on absorbing excess oil. I find that as long as you have a steady hand you are very much in charge of how much or little product you apply which is nice. However, like I mentioned before, it has the potential to be VERY messy. I paid 12.95 for the bottle which is a great value in comparison. Even though the quantities of the dry shampoo's are very similar I feel as though there is less product wasted with this one. I'm not sure where the dry shampoo goes with their aerosol cans, but it really feels as though you're getting a lot less product than with the LUSH one. I've used it quite a few times and I already feel like I'm going to get many more uses from it than the others. Overall, this dry shampoo is among my favourites. I wouldn't want to use it if I was going on a trip because the potential for huge messy disaster is quite large. Also, it does take a little more caution and time to use it. I really enjoy the scent and the end result with it though! I would also be very likely to repurchase this product.


3 -- DOVE Refresh + Care Invigorating Dry Shampoo

Qty: 142g or 5 oz.
Cost: $4.99 CDN

This is the newest addition to my dry shampoo stash. After my run in with the Treseme Dry Shampoo I was extremely hesistant to try out another drugstore brand dry shampoo, but I figured I'd take a leap of faith and test it out. Firstly, this dry shampoo smells delightful! It has the same delectable smell as many of the Dove shampoos & conditioners which is definitely a selling point. It works very nicely at absorbing excess oil and refreshing my hair. It leaves no powdery or sticky residue and it's CHEAP! Seriously, $4.99 for a bottle of it. This is definitely one of the most reasonably priced dry shampoos & it works very well! Overall, it's a definite hit with me. I don't really have any complaints at this moment! It will definitely be a repurchased item for me!


4 -- Batiste Dry Shampoo "Original"

Qty: 143g or 5.05 oz.
Cost: $6.99 (with a Sally's Card) - $9.99 (other stores) CDN

This is the dry shampoo I've been using the longest and have been using religiously using. Unfortunately for me, it's not the easiest one to get my hands on, which is part of the reason I began searching for an alternative. I really love that Batiste comes in a variety of scents and colours! It is available in red, brown and black for us girls with darker locks, which in some cases it slightly helpful in terms of blending out! It works very well and is very easy to use. When I first began using it, I found it retailed for about $12 but over the years it has come down in price but has become harder to get my hands on. When I get the chance to make it to Sally's I tend to stock up on it since it's the cheapest place to buy it. As I'm sure you can tell, this is my favourite dry shampoo and will ALWAYS be a repurchased item for me.


Let's see how they place.

1st - Batiste Dry Shampoo "Original"
2nd - Dove Refresh + Care Invigorating Dry Shampoo
3rd - LUSH No Drought Dry Shampoo
4th - GOSH Fresh Up! Dry Shampoo

I'd also like to make a little note here, I mentioned earlier in the post about the Treseme Dry Shampoo. I purchased it once, used it once and promptly threw out the bottle. It left my hair sticky, made it look more oily than when I started and smelled very chemically. I would never repurchase it ever and don't recommend it to anyone. Although, I do know some people like it. Personally though, I've found better products that work a lot better for me!


Do you use Dry Shampoo on a regular basis? What are some of your favourites or fails? Let me know in the comments!

xo, Ames

No comments:

Post a Comment